- Reading Programs Worldwide
- Publications & Research
- Tools & Training
- News & Events
The Enabling Writers prize competition was an All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development competition to produce a book authoring software that could be used globally to develop books for use in early grade reading programs. It was supported by the All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development partners—United States Agency for International Development, World Vision and the Australian Government—and resulted in the adaptation of Bloom software.
The All Children Reading Partnership is now supporting Writers’ Workshops to create new books in mother tongue languages for primary children in developing countries. It also supports training and capacity-building for local authors to continue to create high-quality children’s books. It applies the Bloom software for systematic development of leveled and decodable books.
The books developed through these writers’ workshops are provided to national ministries of education to support provision of high-quality decodable and leveled texts for young readers. These books will be put into the Global Digital Library, making it possible for educators and families around the world to access and use quality books in first languages with young readers everywhere.
This Enabling Writers Workshop Program Guide is a result of the work of many partners and stakeholders around the world, who are working on improving reading instruction and providing effective resources for reading instruction. The Guide, and its accompanying toolkits, provides information for national and international organizations that are undertaking book development using Bloom bookwriting software. It includes:
- Background information on early grades reading to support local actors in understanding how books should be used with young readers
- Information about decodable and leveled books appropriate for early grades reading instruction
- Guidelines for implementation of writers’ workshops to support quality book development
- Technical processes for using Bloom book-writing software in workshop settings
- Supporting information and models to assist in all aspects of book production